Wednesday, April 21, 2010

An evening with the ARTS

Last night was my monthly ATC meeting. Instead of our usual meeting at a local stamp store our host Lauri had us over the her St. Paul home. We had soooo much FUN, I don't know where to begin. I consider myself a crafter but really wish I was an artist. Lauri is an ARTIST. Her home is just what you would imagine an artist home would look like. You could look around for hours noticing something different all the time. Lauri does some amazing things with different mediums, you can see some of her work at her blog here. I just loved learning about new techniques and mediums. Once the sun went down we moved into the living room for hot tea, cookies, and ATC swapping. We could have talked all night, it was a great time. Donna and I are trying to talk Lauri into having an art night once a month so we can come play with all her goodies. Thanks again Lauri, you made my week.

This is the table of fabric dye in squirt bottles. Look at all the beautiful colors!We dipped watercolor paper in water then added our dye.Then added wildflowers and leafs out of Lauri's yard to make prints. Below is what they looked like after removing the leaves this morning.

Donna working hard on her creation.These are Tjaps from Bali that are over 100 years old. Lauri had the most amazing collection of them. They were originally used for batik. We stamped them on fabric and painted the images.
We also used stencils and texture plates on fabric with Shiva paint sticks. Lauri's studio Some of Lauri's art on the walls.

8 comments:

Lauri said...

Great shots Erin. You captured our fantastic evening. And let's do Art Nights once a month. Shall we pick the 4th Wednesday of the month? I'd love it. You all inspired me. I just got my application for the WARM gallery show done and I'm off to the backyard to do some bolder river prints a la you! Thanks for making it a great night! Lauri

Kate said...

It was a wonderful idea to have your camera to capture the night. The fun we had cannot be captured with words. Art Nights sound like a dream and I'm all for it!

Donna said...

Erin great pictures! Your art print turned out fantastic! What did your daughter think? Art night was a smash hit Lauri! What a great night!

Grandma Jan said...

Amazing. Thanks for sharing, I think. Now I feel even worse. What a week for me to be sick, bummer.

Count me in for Art Night too. What fun!

Tami said...

Looks like I missed a really fun nite. Dang. Can't wait to see the atcs and thanks for the pics Erin.

Big Sis said...

We have to do that next time I come to Minneapolis. Tell your friend that I will let her know plenty of time in advance when I will be coming!

Ruth Ann said...

Looks like I missed a great time. Will not miss the next one. Thanks for the pictures.

Ruth Ann

Carolyn said...

It was a great time on Wednesday night. Thank you so much for recording it in pictures, Erin. I love the idea of an art night.
Carolyn