Saturday, July 17, 2010

Oh, Alice Chapter 22: Dancing under the Sea...

"Will you walk a little faster?" said the whiting to the snail;

"There's a porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!
See how eagerly the lobsters and the turtles all advance!

They are waiting on the shingle, will you come and join the dance?
Will you, won't you, will you, won't you-WILL you join the dance?"
Hello everyone! Greetings from here in Wonderland...or maybe today it's UNDERland? As in Under the Sea, perhaps ;)




So, today's challenge involves all things sea-worthy and we at Oh, Alice are challenging YOU to create a card or project using sea life! Turtles, whales, dolphins are fabulous as are other sea creatures as in merfolk and those deep, dark creatures you sometimes hear about but seldom see.... the possibilities are as endless as the ocean itself!
 
We also have a FUN prize for you this week! One lucky winner will receive a Sweet Pea Rubber Stamp courtesy of Oh, Alice! These stamps are large and BEAUTIFULLY detailed and we just happened to have one 'swimmin' around!' Will YOU be the lucky winner? ;)

So here is my card.  Thanks to my wonderful team mate Jen for sending me the image.  I have a few Sweet Pea Alice stamps but nothing that fit the under the sea theme.  Thanks to Jen and her speedy mailing I got to work with Pirate Treasure Mermaid.  The sketch is from Mercy's Tuesday Sketch Challenge #82.  I thought this designer paper had an aquatic feel with the swirls and bubbles.  I made the flower from cutting different sized circles out of organza and holding the edges up to a flame to melt.  Then I added the shell center.  It kind of has a oyster feel.  Like always I used my Copic markers and a little Sakura Gelly Roll Pen.  I started to color the pearls with glaze pen but didn't like it and changed to liquid pearls with a paint brush.  You can see my flub in the close-up.  What you can't see in the pictures is the the swirls in the DP are iridescent and the organza I made the flower with has little crystals scattered over it.
Stamp:  Sweet Pea Pirate Treasure Mermaid
DP:  DCWV Summer Dream
Nesties:  Standard Circles Lg & Sm
Copic:  E31, 33, 50, 51, 93
C1, 3, 5
BG10, 11, 13, 15
YG01, 03, 23
Sakura Gelly Roll Pen (stardust I think)
Liquid Pearls - White Opal
Be sure to upload your card or creation using InLinkz on the Oh, Alice blog! You have until Friday, July 23rd at 8pm CST to enter your submission to be considered for the prize! If you are uploading to a public gallery, be sure to include keyword OAC22.

Thanks and enjoy the summer sun and sea!

9 comments:

Lynne Phelps said...

I LOVE your card! The background paper is perfect - bubbles and seaweed. WHY is it so hard to photograph shimmer? The Liquid Pearls is such a great touch. I have one bottle but don't feel like I have enough control, so the paint brush is a great tip! Of course your organza flower is the icing on this cake - absolutely GORGEOUS! WONDERful card!

Sammi @ Mad for Markers said...

This is so sweet!! I LOVE all these swirls on the background! Gorgeous job Erin!!
Sammi
xxx

Peggy said...

The layout and DP you used on this one is perfect with your beautifully colored image! Love it!

Deconstructing Jen said...

WooHoo!! I'm so happy this got to you in time and I LOVE these color scheme and the way you colored the Mermaid (isn't she GORGEOUS... I love every single on of these stamps). Mercy's sketch was just perfect for this too.. awesome job!

Amy said...

This is sooo pretty Erin! Love the papers, they're perfect and the mermaid looks fabulous!

Basement Stamper said...

Gorgeous coloring and perfect layout. I love the little flower with the shell inside of it.

Kristy Young said...

This is gorgeous Erin, you did a great job with the sketch too.
Kristy xx

Emma said...

This is gorgeous Erin and I have to agree that your Dp definitely has an aquatic feel to it! Love it!

Expressions of a Creative Mind said...

Beautiful, beautiful with all the small details to make such a gorgeous finished project