Saturday, November 13, 2010

Oh, Alice Chapter 39: Nothin' but Tea and Time...

"Alice felt dreadfully puzzled. The Hatter's remark seemed to have no sort of meaning in it, and yet it was certainly English. `I don't quite understand you,' she said, as politely as she could.

`The Dormouse is asleep again,' said the Hatter, and he poured a little hot tea upon its nose.

The Dormouse shook its head impatiently, and said, without opening its eyes, `Of course, of course; just what I was going to remark myself.'


`Have you guessed the riddle yet?' the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.


`No, I give it up,' Alice replied: `what's the answer?'


`I haven't the slightest idea,' said the Hatter.


`Nor I,' said the March Hare.


Alice sighed wearily. `I think you might do something better with the time,' she said, `than waste it in asking riddles that have no answers.'


`If you knew Time as well as I do,' said the Hatter, `you wouldn't talk about wasting IT. It's HIM.'


`I don't know what you mean,' said Alice.


`Of course you don't!' the Hatter said, tossing his head contemptuously. `I dare say you never even spoke to Time!'"

Greetings friends in Wonderland!

Today we have a fun challenge for you based on a lovely inspiration piece that the Mad Hatter herself just might "need" one of these days!

But first, a BIG warm WONDERLAND welcome to Tracy Evans, our November/December Guest! Tracy has wow'd us with her projects for a while and we are thrilled to have her here at our Twisted Table.

This week, we have an inspiration piece, again from one of Jess's favorite designers, Tarina Tarantino (Shown above).

It LOOKS like a watch, but in this case, the face of "Father Time" is the Mad Hatter himself. We can just see him, shouting out from this beautiful piece and startling it's owner "YOU HAVEN'T EVEN MET TIME!". Boy, it sure feels like that some days..time simply moves TOO QUICKLY to catch!

For my card I used the colors in the inspiration piece.  Who would have thought how difficult it would be to find some designer paper in purple, pink, blue, orange, black, and green.  I reached deep into the stash for this paper from Sce3nic Route called Laurel.  The stamp stamp is from Unity (called Butterfly Garden) and reminded me of the frame around the picture of the hatter.  I thought embossing it in black would give it the lacquered look of the frame.  I then colored in the image with color pencils and tried blending it with Gamsol.  Lesson learned, Gamsol and embossing powder don't mix.  The Gamsol smeared the black from the powder into the color.  Change of plans.  I got out my Pearlescent Watercolors and went to painting in the image.  I like how it came out all iridescent.  I used Nesties standard circles large and classic scallop circle small to make the window in my card and the blue frame around the window.  I also mounted the image on acetate inside the card for a little interest.  The inspiration for the sketch is from Mercy's Tuesday Sketch Challenge #99.  The window and butterfly is inspired by the Flutter by Wednesday's Challenge #130.



Have a bedazzler of a time this week, creating after this piece!  Make sure you check out the whole teams projects at Oh, Alice and enter your into the Inlinkz tool.

8 comments:

Susan (peebsmama) said...

Your circle image looks just like cloissone jewelry. Very nice.

the whimsical butterfly said...

WOW! AMAZING use of that Samantha Walker stamp- you colored it SO beautifully, Erin! Wonderful take on the piece-I love EVERYONE's creations today so much!

Tracy Evans said...

Amazing colouring, great image and papers too. Thanks for welcoming me to the team. Tracy Evans xx

Tasha said...

Wow what a fabulous card Erin, love the stamp you have used and funy layout
love tasha xx

Meme said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! The colors are amazing. Fabulous job, Erin.
See you Wed.

Danni said...

Simply divine! Wonderful card! Thanks for playing along with my flutter by challenge!

Patti J said...

Beautiful card Erin! Wow! That was a lot of work!!! Thanks for joining us at Flutter by Wednesdays Challenge this week! We hope to see you back again next week!

Michelle VP said...

Beautiful, Erin! I love that stamp and how you painted it in with the pearlescent paints. :) Thanks for getting inky with us at Flutterby Wednesday this week.