Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Altered Alice CHAPTER 6 Challenge - Week 2: Painting the Roses Red

'A large rose-tree stood near the entrance of the garden: the roses growing on it were white, but there were three gardeners at it, busily painting them red. Alice thought this a very curious thing, and she went nearer to watch them, and just as she came up to them she heard one of them say, `Look out now, Five! Don't go splashing paint over me like that!' -- Chapter 8, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
The cards were painting the white roses red to avoid angering the Queen of Hearts, so your challenge is to use PAINT on your creation! Of course you can paint it RED like the design team will be doing, but you can also use other colors. You need to tell us what item was painted, what technique you used, and give us a mention and a link of course!

We are sponsored this month by Creative Inspirations [Store | Blog], makers of wonderful shimmering paint which comes in almost 60 colors, including clear iridescent Fairy Dust. They also carry hot fix Jeweled Inspirations and Metallic Inspirations; I am particularly intrigued by the latter as they look like brilliant nail heads. The Altered Alice design team will be using Garnet paint, a bright sparkling red, and I hope the Creative Inspirations design team might decide to play along! The winner of this month's challenge will receive five colors of their choice.

For my project I used an illustration from a children's version of Alice in Wonderland I found at a yard sale.  I wanted to use it along with the embossed roses but didn't want to cover up the whole image.  The acetate cover aloud me to do just that.  I painted my roses using Creative Inspirations paint and an aqua brush giving me the water color effect.
Embossing Folder:  Stampin Up Manhattan Flower
Inspirations Garnet Paint
Sentiment:  My Favorite Things
Illustration:  David Frankland

Be sure to enter at The Altered Alice by 11:59 p.m. EDT (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC -4:00) on Friday, August 26. The winner and honorable mentions will be announced the last Sunday of the month on August 28.
Go to The Altered Alice to see the creations of all my team mates!

9 comments:

Rett said...

I adore your creations.
Love how you used the acetate cover...brilliant! The painted roses are so pretty.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love your creation, love the humour and the images are fabulous and your roses are painted beautifully. Tracy x

Lynne Phelps said...

FANTASTIC and so funny! Great job with the cover, your painting is gorgeous. This illustration is so, so funny, I just laugh whenever I look at it. :-)

Sue said...

VERY clever!!! I love the acetate roses overlay....great idea!

DonnaMundinger said...

Erin, this is gorgeous! Love how you've painted the embossed roses, and the illustration is a hoot. So much fun with the acetate. xxD

Jess-The Whimsical Butterfly said...

WOW! Those flowers POP off the page- GORGEOUS!

Meme said...

Erin....You did a Fantastic job on this challenge!

Wow! I love the idea of the acetate...Super FUN!

CuddlyBunny said...

Erin your card is Awesome! I love the images, and your roses ... holy WOW! The queen herself would have hired you, if only she'd known ... :)

Sandy said...

Oh wow Erin these are really lovely.
Fabulous art. Love them both.