Sunday, December 11, 2011

Week 2, CHAPTER 10: A Lewis Christmas Carroll to All!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from The Altered Alice! This month the design team brings you their holiday wishes, and we invite you to send your holiday greetings to The Altered Alice. You have until Friday, Dec. 23 to enter. The winner post will either be a little early or late, as the last Sunday of the month falls on Christmas day!


Our prize this month is a $40.00 gift certificate to Custom Crops, the premier online retailer for crafters of all kinds. From Accuquilt to Zva Creative, adhesives to vinyl and everything in between, Custom Crops offers a huge selection of the products you've been looking for at competive prices with fast, friendly customer service. Thanks to design team member Donna for organizing this Christmas prize!

To celebrate the season, we bring you The Lewis Carroll Memorial Window at Daniell Chapel in England. Notice the left panel where Lewis Carroll and Alice kneel to pay homage to the newly born Christ in this wonderful Nativity scene! This month's quote is actually contained within the windows, do you see it?

The window was designed by stained glass artist Geoffrey Webb, a must-see for anyone that loves Wonderland. A wonderful Christmas poem by Lewis Carroll is shown in the center three bottom panels, which include characters from Wonderland - the White Rabbit, Dodo, the Caterpillar, Mad Hatter, and more! Our own Sue Roddis visited this chapel and gave me permission to show her close-up photos here, click to enlarge:




 
This month my project didn't go how I had planned.  I had planned to make an ornament that died a horrible death by glue-gun-acide.  I would explain but it just make me look stupid.  So plan be was born.  This time it's a snow globe minus the liquid (I wasn't going to deal with water proofing on a last minute project). 
I started with a plastic snow globe I got at Micheal's, they sell for $6.99 but were 1/2 price.  I have been itching to use this Alice stamp from Stamping Bella since hubby brought her back to me from a recent business trip to Toronto.  (disclaimer:  No he didn't do it on his own.  Anytime he travels I check to see if any great craft stores are close and send him with a list categorized by priority.  If you try this with your hubby make sure you keep the list and the stores phone number.  Then if he is all nervous about picking up such items you can call the store and have them ready to go.  All he has to do is pick up and pay.  I sound insane, but a girl has to feed the habit.) 

So back to my project.  I wanted to use this Alice but she is holding a big tea cup in the image.  So the wreath seemed like a good solution to covering that up.  I also paper pieced her dress with designer paper from Martha Stewart Woodland collection (this is the same paper that is used on the bottom band).  The wreath is made from some vintage garland that had belonged to my grandmother.  I twisted it around my finger and glued it down, then added some red bling to look like berries.

On the snow globe base I glued a green paper circle and then hot glued the candy canes standing up.  Once dry I added the snow flakes and inserted the base to the globe. 

Next was decorating the outside.  I used a Martha Stewart border punch to make the red band around the base.  There was a gap behind the band so I added the green sparkle ribbon.  For the banner I just stamped the sentiment on a strip of paper and cut the end.  Then scuff the edges with red ink.  To fold is without a sharp fold I rolled the paper around the end of a small paint brush.

The ornament top came from the first defunct project.  I cut the wire that holds it inside the ornament short.  Then I bent the metal edges up so it sat flush with the top of the globe. 

We look forward to seeing your holiday greetings, so send us a Christmas card or tag! If it features Wonderland, you will have two chances at the randomly awarded prize instead of one. Multiple entries are fine, but each must be on a separate post.

Stop by The Altered Alice to see some AMAZING design team inspiration projects, and we hope you will play along as well!

4 comments:

Lynne Phelps said...

I just love this! The Alice is so charming in her holiday outfit and the 3D wreath is fab! I'd be afraid of water too, especially after the first project glue-icided, LOL! The base is great too, I LOVE the banner you curled around the base, it is the perfect finishing touch! The "remote" shopping tips are also appreciated; you are such a clever girl, hahaha!

Meme/Donna said...

OMG! This is so adorable! I love how you did this, amazing! Thanks for sharing this it is awesome!

DonnaMundinger said...

this is absolutely PRECIOUS! Love how Alice is holding that beautiful wreath and her festive outfit. The candy canes inside are just darling in the snow. FAbulous project, Erin and I love the forward thinking about craft shopping errands for hubby. Well done! xxD

Rett said...

You are such a talented and clever artist! I love your Christmas Alice snowglobe....she's precious. You've put much thought and effort into it, and it shows. I love how your husband contributes to your crafting (shall we say addiction..naaa) hobby. He's a keeper :)